Friday, January 28, 2011

Just vs. Fair

For almost 2 months now I have really been gripped by the differences between justice and fairness. I have noticed that many people use the words fair and just as interchangeable synonyms these days, but they really are two different concepts entirely.

As an example; I remember play time as a child. There was always that one guy who was a gifted athlete and excelled at any game he played. He could out run, out bat, out pass, and pretty much out do every other kid in pretty much every type of physical activity. And when this kid played a pick-up game there always seemed to be a long list of special rules invented by the opposing team in the name of "fairness."

These rules would be something along the lines of requiring the phenom to use his off hand or foot or was restricted in how much of the field he could cover; but one thing was common about all the rules intended to make the game fair; they always limited the talented kid to less than his potential but NEVER worked to improve the performance of the other kids.

It seems that not much has changed.

When I hear about new laws or practices being discussed to bring fairness they are all ways to limit the potential and talent of gifted individuals but never a way to bring up those less gifted.

But should fair really be our goal?

One thing I know is that life is not fair.

There are all kinds of situations that people find themselves in that are no result of their actions or decisions; people paralyzed in car crashes, children born with mental or physical handicaps, etc. In less dramatic situations, some are born with great physical or mental prowess and some are born with less. And despite all out best intentions we will never overcome unfairness.

On the other hand, justice is something we can, and should, strive for.

Interestingly, the more I think about it the more I realize that many times what is fair and what is just are in opposition. Looking back to those sandlot baseball games I see that our rules may have made the game fair but justice was certainly not given to the talented young athlete.

Justice says that we will do what we can to remove or limit external hindrances to your success but that you still have to put in the effort to make that happen. Justice means that you are free to play the game but that you might just lose the match, or even that sometimes you won't make the team.

Perhaps that is why the Pledge of Allegiance declares that we are a nation that offers "liberty and justice" and not fairness for all.

2 comments:

  1. Never read your blog before, but love this post. I've often thought this way when is it comes to God. Don't know if you are religous or not.. but most of the Bible is NOT fair at all, but yet it says that God is "Just". I've always struggled with that and how the two are different. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share your view on just vs fair within the context of scripture. Though the two words are often used with significant overlap, I believe there is a clear distinction between the meanings of these two words. I thank the blogger for his clear explanation.

      It's my opinion that God deals justly, not fairly. If God was fair, the workers in the field who got started late in the day would not have received the same pay as those workers who started early in the morning. (Matt: 20:1-16). Also, I thank God that He doesn't use "fairness when dealing with me. If He did, I would be the one put on the cross to pay for my own penalty. What happened at Calvary wasn't "fair" to Christ, paying for my offense. Jesus paid for our offense by meeting the legal requirements of God's law. Fairness was never part of the equation. Justice was.

      Delete