Thursday, May 26, 2011

Chivalry is not dead, but it needs a little help.

Chris Hemsworth as "Thor"

Gov. Chris Christie
Recently I was able to take in a movie with my lovely bride, Heather.

We went and saw Thor, and what struck me most about the movie (aside from the fact that I wish my body looked more like Chris Hemsworth and less like Chris Christie) was how chivalrous the Thor character was.

At one point in the movie, Thor (Hemsworth) is telling Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) that he will return for her. As they stand face to face you naturally expect him to go in for a lip-lock, but instead he kisses her hand. Despite the fact that Foster ends up planting one on Thor anyway, I thought it was great to see such gentlemanly behavior displayed by a character that men will no doubt want to emulate.

Perhaps we will get lucky and young men who go to see the comic book hero action movie will walk away with a lesson in chivalry.

Is it too much to hope for?

No comments:

Post a Comment