Friday, July 22, 2011

I didn't have to say it like that...

A few days ago I wrote a blog about how to take criticism.

After writing the post I had planned to do a follow-up on how to give advice. The only thing is that last night I proved to myself that I still have MUCH to learn on the subject.

At work I tend to be the definition of "by the book," simply because I don't see grey areas open to debate. I don't see exceptions to the rule. All I tend to see is it is wrong or it is right; but last night I learned that sometimes all right can be all wrong.

Last night I made a critical comment a co-worker in my typical truth-not-tact manner but when I heard the response from my co-worker I realized just how rude my comment came across.

Later in the shift I approached this co-worker to apologize for my behavior only to find out that this had been only the latest in a long string of actions that had made this person think that I hated her.

Here was a co-worker that I had trained; someone who looked up to me; and nearly all I have offered from the first day I met her was hurtful criticism. Upon learning how my actions and words had affected her I felt that even the best apology I could offer was not nearly enough.

Have you ever had a moment that you knew immediately was going to be a turning point for your life? A moment that you would look back on in the future and say, "This is where it all changed?" Last night was one of those moments.

Last night I realized that it is not enough to simply speak the truth.

Last night I learned that I didn't have to say it like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment