Friday, August 26, 2011

The First and the Last: The Top and the Bottom

Recently I was given the opportunity to start the process of taking on more responsibility at work. Part of this increased responsibility will require a higher level of leadership than was required of me before.

As I move forward with the process I find myself often thinking about what kind of a manager/leader I want to be.

Years ago I was introduced to the concept of the upside-down pyramid as an organizational model.

I believe that I may have first seen the illustration and read about the concept in a book called Rich Dad, Poor Dad that was written by Robert Kiyosaki and Sharon Lechter.

Now, I will stop and say that a great deal of what I found in this book was, even to my untrained eye, dangerous financial practice. However, I did latch onto the concept of the upward pyramid.

Over the years I have heard others use the concept of the upside-down pyramid. I don't know whether they picked this up directly from the book or through a third party, but one thing I have found is that I seemed to have picked up a different meaning in the concept than most other people.

When I think of a pyramid there are certain word pictures that come to mind.

I think about the ancient pyramids; I think of massive, expensive objects that were built on the backs of many (literally) to glorify one man. The men to whom these pyramids were dedicated considered themselves to be gods and often treated those that helped build the massive structures as tools to be simply used up and replaced.

I also think about the traditional corporate, top down, structure.

I think of massive companies that grew on the effort and talent of many to make a select few (sometimes one man) very wealthy. The men who stood at the top of these modern day pyramids often lived in opulence while giving little thought to the people that made the business work; treating them instead like tools to be simply used up and replaced.

Then I think about what an upside-down pyramid, and anti-pyramid if you will, would look like. I think of an organization that takes the opposite view of the people that make the thing work.

Where a pyramid system is cold, demanding, and demeaning the anti-pyramid system is caring, empowering, and enriching.

I think one of the biggest differences for me comes when I remember something my grandfather always taught me: Manure always runs down hill.

LET THAT SINK IN FOR A MINUTE!

In the traditional pyramid, whenever there is a mistake the blame is passed down hill from the one at the top all the way down to the many at the bottom.

If there is a problem with production, layoffs sweep through the bottom level of the pyramid. If there is a problem with morale, the one at the top blames those at the bottom.


In an anti-pyramid, when there is a mistake the blame is owned by the one at the top.

If there is a problem with production the cuts come for the few at the "bottom" first rather than the many at the "top." If there is a problem with morale the one at the "bottom" takes responsibility for the problems.

The more I learn about leadership the more I realize that nearly every problem in any organization can be traced DIRECTLY back to the leadership.

I guess for me, what the anti-pyramid has always meant to me goes beyond mere actions. It has to permeate the thoughts and behaviors of the leadership.

Think about it this way.

If one guy in the mail room makes a mistake there are rarely company wide effects; but when the CEO makes a mistake EVERYONE feels it.

Because of this, I see that as I move into positions of higher responsibility and authority the thing I must always remember is all those who depend on me to be and give my best. As I move toward being first I must strive to be the last; as I move to the top I must remember I am the bottom.

So, what kind of leader do I want to be?

I want to be a "The Buck Stops Here" kinda guy. I want to be the guy that you go to when it hits the fan because you know I am committed to your success. I want to be the guy that believes in you even when you don't. And when the hard work starts I want to be the guy right there in the trenches with you.

It won't be easy.

I will be fighting the conventional wisdom that says I should look out for myself. I will be fighting that voice that will tell me, "Kick back and relax. You earned this. Let everyone else do the hard stuff now." But I believe it will happen.

Why?

I have seen the pyramids... I want to build something better!

No comments:

Post a Comment