Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Finishing Well

I have never been a strong finisher.

Starting well is easy.


A new project. A new recipe. A new diet.
A new job.

I can deal with the frustrations and bummers because the new t
here is energy and excitement that helps me see all the possibility and promise in the new things in my life.

The problem I usually face is when the excitement wears of and the reality of my situation sets in.


As I have matured over the years I have grown better at remaining committed once the thrill is gone, but finishing brings a whole 'nother level of difficulty.

Once something ends there is so little motivation to keep me moving in a positive direction, especially when I was shown to the door and didn't find it on my own.


In the most recent of my "endings" I have worked hard at finishing well.


I could not control the way I was being treated. I could not control the fact that my boss was ready to end my employment. I could not control the fact that the proverbial basket I had placed all my proverbial eggs in was crashing to the ground.


What I can control is my reaction.


I can't see the future nor can I predict what effect my actions in leaving my job amiably will have, but I do know that I have a good feeling about how I finished.


Perhaps I may even find that finishing well could be more important that starting well.

No comments:

Post a Comment